Friday, September 14, 2007

I'm Not There

This is the famous movie about Bob Dylan with six actors playing the part. Well, not quite. They are each playing parts of Bob Dylan's character, but each under a different name.

Todd Haynes introduced the movie and told us that Bob Dylan had so many personas that his friends would say he had transformed himself into another person if they hadn't seen him in a year or so. And each of the characters are interesting in their own right, but trying to see Bob Dylan over and over in each actor's characterization becomes fatiguing after a while.

I have to admit that I left half an hour before the movie finished because I didn't want to miss my next movie ... and I was fatigued, as mentioned above.

My favourite portrayal of one of Bob Dylan's character traits was done by Cate Blanchett as Jude ... with the young Woody -- the first actor in the role -- coming in a close second.

Details
Director: Todd Haynes
Country: USA
Year: 2007
Language: English
Runtime: 135 minutes
Principal Cast: Christian Bale, Cate Blanchett, Marcus Carl Franklin, Richard Gere, Heath Ledger, Ben Whishaw, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Julianne Moore, David Cross