Friday, September 7, 2007

The Brave One

I'm not sure I subscribe to the revenge flick genre. It seems to be an American thing: every problem can be solved by getting a gun ... or a bigger gun than the other person.

Jodie Foster, pictured left at the premiere with co-star Terrence Howard, sort of sleepwalks though her part.

Though I wanted to like it -- after all it is a Neil Jordan film -- I couldn't connect with any of the characters. Terence Howard's earnest and forceful acting style clashed with Jodie Foster's more laid-back approach and Nick Katt was thrown in for comic relief/black humour.

Mike pointed out the director's homage to Taxi Driver ... even to copying the final camera shot.

Not a very auspicious film with which to start my film festival this year.

Details
Director: Neil Jordan
Country: USA/Australia
Year: 2007
Language: English
Runtime: 119 minutes
Principal Cast: Jodie Foster, Terrence Howard, Naveen Andrews, Mary Steenburgen